Thursday, July 5, 2007

Seller Profile Melanie Chabre

Purple and black floral cosmetic case set made my MelanieMelanie Chabre is the owner and designer of Bags by Melanie.
she is an active member in the New Hampshire Street Team too.

NEST: Where are you? How did you end up in New England ?
New Ipswich NH, which about 45 minutes from Nashua. I was born in Virginia, but when I was only 2 or 3 years old my parents moved the family up to New Hampshire. I have lived in New England ever since.

NEST: How did you hear about Etsy?
I was doing a search on the internet looking for a place to sell my handmade handbags, and stumbled upon Etsy that way. It is now my mission to make sure everyone knows about Etsy!

NEST: What do you make? Why do you make them? (what’s your inspiration) Okay, I make handbags. I started making them because a friend of mine asked me if I could take her well loved handbag and make her a new one because she loved it so much and couldn't buy the same one anymore. When I pulled it apart to make the pattern I found out how truely easy it actually was to make a bag. I almost never use a pattern, because I have found out over the years that almost all bags are made from the same basic pattern; I just make different sizes to what people are asking for.

NEST: Something, a tip? Motto?Beach Bag
I am completely self taught. Sure, I took home economics classes in High school, but how much do you really think I paid attention?? I don't think that I will ever learn everything. Over time you get better at what you do and you learn your own little things to make your craft your own and even better then before. Patience and time are your two best friends. You have to have the patience to become better, and the patience to make all your goals. You have to keep your chin up and just strive to get better, and remember you can't always please everyone. Anything you want good to happen to you will happen in time.

NEST: Are you a vendor at any upcoming shows/events? Are you teaching any classes?
I will be doing a craft fair on October 20th in Sterling MA at the First Church. I am rather excited, I have changed a lot of what I do over the years and I think this year is the year that I have the right things to market at a craft fair and do well at it.

NEST: What’s the difference between Art & Craft? Which are you?
MC: I am not sure how to answer this, I think to be good at your Craft you almost have to be an artist too. You have to see what things will go with each other to make the best possible product.

NEST: Favorite midnight snack? Comfort food?

Haha, right now I am pregnant so I eat what the baby tells me she wants to eat. I don't really have a favorite anything, I got through phases of what I want to eat. I will always love mashed potatoes though!

Teal and Green Paisley Cosmetic case setNEST: Recommend a good book or two.
I will read anything and everything from James Patterson and Mary Higgins Clark, they are my two favorite authors. I love a good suspense book!

NEST: What is the best thing about Etsy?
I think Etsy is an amazing place that will only get better with a little time and patience ;) LOL
I guess my favorite thing is I have met a lot of great people there. There are a lot of amazing people who make amazing things. I am so proud to be selling in the same venue as them and because I am doing this "with" them, they make me look good, LOL

No comments: